Re: Bad Magic

Nicos Gollan wrote:
On Monday 27 January 2003 02:31, Tom Allison wrote:

What does this mean?

I'm failing at the beginning of a boot.

You mean you get the message directly after LILO (or BRUB or whatever you're using as bootmanager) is done? It would be helpful if you could pinpoint that a little more precisely.

"Bad magic" means that the identifying bytes at the beginning of some file are not what was expected, so the file is probably corrupt.

I got this prior to the 'LILO' line.

The problem was pretty simple but hard to recognize.

1) I cannot see the front of the PC tower
2) I use ext2 floppies and had one in the bay
3) Boot sequence is Floppy, CD-ROM, HDD

I was attempting to boot from a data disk.

However, I'm used to a different message...

--
Al didn't smile for forty years. You've got to admire a man like that.
		-- from "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman"