Re: Install problems: 3.0r1/i386 and Realtek 8319 network card

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:47:07AM +0100, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
>I want to install Debian over the network. I downloaded the 2 'vanilla'
>boot floppies, rescue.bin and root.bin, and booted with those. They
>have kernel 2.2.22, and they did not recognise my ethernet card. Then
>I decided to try the 2.4bf floppies, which have kernel 2.4.18. I see in
>the kernel config that the following 3 device drivers are compiled in:
>
>CONFIG_8139CP=y
>CONFIG_8139TOO=y
>CONFIG_8139TOO_8129=y
>
>When I boot with these, my ethernet card is recognised, and I can choose
>the network install method. However, the card actually fails to work,
>even though it has been recognised. If I switch to the console on ALT-F2,
>and ping the card's address, the ping works. However, I cannot ping any
>other host on the network, nor can I ping the router. So the network
>installation fails. I started the installation with "linux debug",
>and I do see some odd errors in the debug log:
>
>eth0: TX timeout

Try installing the mii module first (I think this card needs two
modules), though you seem to have gotten far enough that it's not the
problem.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org