Re: Install problems: 3.0r1/i386 and Realtek 8319 network card

On Monday 27 January 2003 05:47, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> I want to install Debian over the network. I downloaded the 2 'vanilla'
> boot floppies, rescue.bin and root.bin, and booted with those. They
> have kernel 2.2.22, and they did not recognise my ethernet card. Then
> I decided to try the 2.4bf floppies, which have kernel 2.4.18. I see in
> the kernel config that the following 3 device drivers are compiled in:
>
> CONFIG_8139CP=y
> CONFIG_8139TOO=y
> CONFIG_8139TOO_8129=y

I run routers with US$7 8139s and US$800 wan cards.  They both work pretty
well for me. The price difference is striking, is it not?

About a year ago I also had problems with rtl8139 drivers.  After googling
around I found that some people used an older driver compiled from source to
solve the problems.  It may be the case that the other distros you mention
have the older driver included and that the more recent Debian distro has the
newer driver.

If you are interested in learning more about this possible fix, contact me
off-list and I will send a tar file to you of the old and new driver source.
The compile instructions are simple and included in the source (thank you Mr.
Becker).  Hmmm.  You may need someone to compile the driver for you lest you
have a chicken-egg problem.  I have a Woody/vanilla i386 system.
--
Mike M.