Re: Memory usage after upgrade

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 15:34, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:24:37PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Looks like it only sees 1GB RAM.  What you have to do is recompile
> > the kernel to enable these options:
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM
> >
> > This is because, by default, the kernel only sees 1GB.  I think it
> > has to do with the x86 archetecture.  Data above 1GB must be moved
> > down below 1GB for certain IO operations.  If you have less than
> > 1GB RAM, that code path need not be taken, so the system is optimised
> > for people who have less than 1GB RAM.
>
> The instructions on how to use the kernel-package stuff didn't make
> much sense to me. How/why is that any easier then compiling directly
> from source, the standard way?
>
> I downloaded the standard 2.4.19 sources from kernel.org, compiled and
> all is running with the new RAM being recognized. Thanks for the tip.

What you can do next time is get the kernel-source from debian.org
(because it has lots of little bug fixes), via regular old "apt-get
install".  That puts a tarball in /usr/src.

Then just untar it and proceed through the standard linux/README
instructions.  That's what I do, and it's easy enough...

> Now that I am running 2.4.19, is there anything specific that I should
> watch out for?

None that I know of.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |