Re: Memory usage after upgrade

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:24:37PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Looks like it only sees 1GB RAM.  What you have to do is recompile
> the kernel to enable these options:
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM
>
> This is because, by default, the kernel only sees 1GB.  I think it
> has to do with the x86 archetecture.  Data above 1GB must be moved
> down below 1GB for certain IO operations.  If you have less than
> 1GB RAM, that code path need not be taken, so the system is optimised
> for people who have less than 1GB RAM.

The instructions on how to use the kernel-package stuff didn't make
much sense to me. How/why is that any easier then compiling directly
from source, the standard way?

I downloaded the standard 2.4.19 sources from kernel.org, compiled and
all is running with the new RAM being recognized. Thanks for the tip.

Now that I am running 2.4.19, is there anything specific that I should
watch out for?