Re: Memory usage after upgrade

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 04:34:47PM -0500, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:24:37PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Looks like it only sees 1GB RAM.  What you have to do is recompile
> > the kernel to enable these options:
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM
> >
> > This is because, by default, the kernel only sees 1GB.  I think it

I think it's 960MB, due to some overhead.

> > has to do with the x86 archetecture.  Data above 1GB must be moved
> > down below 1GB for certain IO operations.  If you have less than
> > 1GB RAM, that code path need not be taken, so the system is optimised
> > for people who have less than 1GB RAM.
>
> The instructions on how to use the kernel-package stuff didn't make
> much sense to me.

Quick guide: 'make menuconfig;make-kpkg kernel_image'.  All done.
Install the resulting .deb with dpkg.

> How/why is that any easier then compiling directly
> from source, the standard way?

Just makes it easier to use multiple kernels (or upgrade existing ones),
since you can just Debian's normal packaging tools.  Also, you don't
need to remember the 'make dep;make clean'  blah blah blah order anymore
:)

-rob