Re: Mounting partitions HELP

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:49:12AM -0800, Joris Huizer wrote:
> /dev/hda :
>  - windows stuff
>
> /dev/hdb :
>  - /dev/hdb1 : / (root)
>  - /dev/hdb2 : swap
>  - /dev/hdb3 : /boot NOT IN USE
>  - /dev/hdb4 : extended partition
>    - /dev/hdb5 : /home
>    - /dev/hdb6 : /usr
>
> I've got two questions:
>
> 1. How can I mount the /dev/hda ( the bootloader says
> /dev/hda1 ) (as root and/or as normal user) ?

If only as root,

  # mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt

If you also want ordinary users to be able to mount it, add it to your
/etc/fstab (see mount(8) and fstab(5)).

  /dev/hda1    /mnt    vfat    defaults,user,noauto  0  0

> 2. Is it possible to clean ("format", initialize) the
> /dev/hdb3 and set a new partition ( /tmp) there ?
> I created during the first partition for redhat; It's
> rather big as I didn't know a /boot should be small
> and it was used to start the install of debian from
> that partition.

If /dev/hdb3 is not empty, move its contents to /boot on /dev/hdb1.

  # umount /dev/hdb3
  # mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb3 /mnt (change ext2 to the file system)
  # cp -a /mnt /boot
  # diff -r /mnt /boot (if contents match, continue)
  # rm -f /mnt/*
  # umount /mnt

Now, /dev/hdb3 is empty.  You can then set it up as your new /tmp.

  Add the following line to your /etc/fstab (changing ext2 if needed):
    /dev/hdb3  /tmp  ext2  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  0
  reboot

> Oh, and what type should be used ? I think /tmp or
> /var but I don't know for sure.

/tmp and /var are not partition types.

--
Seneca