Re: Memory usage after upgrade

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 11:45, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for their help on my hard drive issue (HDA kept
> showing busy and then reset). I replaced the drive as well as the
> cable and I seem to be back in business.
>
> While I had the server down and the case open, I decided to add more
> RAM. I upgraded from 512MB to 1280MB. Does anything have do be done to
> allow the system to use this much RAM?
>
> After the reboot, top is showing some strange numbers for memory
> usage:
>
> Mem: 970780K total, 964108K used, 6672K free, 891456K buffers
>
> It doesn't look like it's recognizing all of the new RAM..

Hi,

Looks like it only sees 1GB RAM.  What you have to do is recompile
the kernel to enable these options:
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
CONFIG_HIGHMEM

This is because, by default, the kernel only sees 1GB.  I think it
has to do with the x86 archetecture.  Data above 1GB must be moved
down below 1GB for certain IO operations.  If you have less than
1GB RAM, that code path need not be taken, so the system is optimised
for people who have less than 1GB RAM.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |