Re: debian woody beside suse

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 07:15:35AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 05:18, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> > Hello Debian  user,
> >
> > I am planning to install Debian woody as second linux on my computer
> > beside Suse 8.1. I would like to know if debian will recognize the
> > spare 50 GB on my /home directory (in Suse) and create a partition by
> > it own without infering with Suse or if it would be better to resize
> > it and create a new partition for debian with YAST2. If the
> > partitioning would be the better idea, which format do you recommend?
>
> If your /home is in a seperate partition, and "your" uid is the same
> on both machines, then I see nothing wrong w/ sharing /home between
> systems.

It could cause issues though, if you have different versions of things
on each side.  F'r instance (I don't know if this is true or not), both
GNOME 1.4 and GNOME 2 might use ~/.gnome/ for storing preferences; their
config file format is *extremely* different though, so they could break
each other quit badly...

> > And the second concern I have is the configuration of the boot manager,
> > will debian show up with suse linux as choice when starting up?

If you tell it to, then yes.  This'll be a little weird though, since
both SuSe and Debian will have their own /etc/lilo.conf; you'll just
have to pick one OS and let it handle the boot sector.

-rob