Re: How to change start up screen resolution for X?

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 03:12:39PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On a slightly different note, is there much point in going to the higher
> resolutions even if they are available? My monitor will go up to
> 1600x1440 but in practice I don't find any use in going above 1024x768.
> I know the argument is that you can have more windows open but this
> means you have to squint at small type. If you make the type larger you
> are back where you started.
>
> I therefore leave mine at 1024x768 and (in icewm) have 9 desktops with
> different apps on each. This seems to me more sensible, or am I missing
> something?
>
> AC

If you increase the resolution your type size will get smaller, but
there are several ways you can make it bigger.  First, check that X
knows the correct dpi at your resolution.  I found this helped a bit
for me (at least kdm seemed to take it into account--not sure about
anything else).  Second, you can change your font on the fly or via X
resources or application default settings.

On the other hand, given the physical size of the monitor, some high
resolutions won't make sense.  For 17" 1024x768 is usually good,
though I'm always tempted to push it a bit higher.  You monitor and
card may also put other limits on what's reasonable.

An unpleasant trick of some monitor makers is to advertise high
resolutions which are unusable in practice because of low refresh
rates.