How to change start up screen resolution for X?

I am looking for a way to get hardware accelerated 3d performance out
of my video card.  For reasons detailed below, this seems to come down
to the need to start X in a lower resolution and depth than I
customarily use.  I am looking for a good way to do that, or the
encouraging news that some other approach is possible.

I know how to edit the config file to reduce the startup resolution;
the problem with this solution is that it is extremely awkward given
my need to start up in two different resolutions--I can't live
permanently in one or the other.

Changing my screen resolution on the fly (ctl-alt-numeric +) is not
effective, because XFree86 apparently decides whether to accelerate
when it starts.

One possibility would be to have XFree86 start in different modes on
different virtual terminals.  Does anyone know if this is possible and
how to do it?  This might be a good enough solution, though it still
has the drawback that I need to cycle through each X virtual terminal
to get a system shutdown.

I'm running a debian testing system, xfree86-common at version 4.2.1-3.
Matrox graphics card, AMD chip, 2.4.19 kernel.

Thanks in advance.

If you're curious why I care about this now, read on.

My daughter got hooked on Mario go-cart in a waiting room, and I had
to tear her, sobbing, away to get home.  As I did so I boldly told her
that Linux would have something similar.  It actually does in tuxkart,
but it's completely unplayable without hardware acceleration.