Slightly OT: KDE3.1 vs. Gnome2 Seeking Info!

I recently installed Both Gnome2 from SID and a few other places and KDE3.1 Much ot this was installed using apt-build from sources outside the US. I have had VERY decent results with both when using the display manager GDM but when I switch over to KDM only the KDE3 apps and some old X apps are available to the menu system. I have tried using kde-appfinder to solve this issue, but it seems to not see the gnome apps except for evolution 1.21 from Ximian. I prefer KDM as it seems to perform better in most other respects and the KDE configuration systems are far superior to Gnome at present "IMHO" I am seeking othere with similar experiences and possibly any solutions to this problem. There are many Gnome apps that I wish to use, especially GIMP and GMC, and some of the GTK products for database management. None of these are located by the menu system in KDE. I am aware of the fact that I can probably set them up by hand but I am trying to find a more automated way. Any suggestions?? I am running a mixed testing/unstable Debian systems most of it compiled using G++3.2 and optimized for AMD processors.
Thanks!!
John Foster