Re: How to change start up screen resolution for X?

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 10:12, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2003, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> > > Good google :) but SVGA is Super-VGA and only 800 x 720 !
> > >
> > > CGA:   640 X 200 (8*8 font, 80chars * 25 lines)
> > > DCGA:  640 X 400 (8*16 font, 80chars * 25 lines)
> > > VGA:   640 x 480
> > > SVGA:  800 x 720
> > > XGA:  1024 x 768
> > > SXGA  1280 x1024
> > > UXGA: 1600 x1440
> >

> [snip]
>
> On a slightly different note, is there much point in going to the higher
> resolutions even if they are available? My monitor will go up to
> 1600x1440 but in practice I don't find any use in going above 1024x768.
> I know the argument is that you can have more windows open but this
> means you have to squint at small type. If you make the type larger you
> are back where you started.
>
> I therefore leave mine at 1024x768 and (in icewm) have 9 desktops with
> different apps on each. This seems to me more sensible, or am I missing
> something?
>
> AC
> --
> ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
> using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic
> Windows-free zone      ||  books and skeptical articles

I would say that it depends on how large of a monitor you are using -
two low of a resolution on too large of a monitor is nearly as difficult
to view (a former employer thought that they were doing a great thing
over a decade ago by buying a 19" monitor for the machine they had me
doing graphic design on, and then installed it set to 640x480.)

I run 1280x1024 with 10 pt text and anti-aliased fonts on a 17" monitor,
but that is because I am accustomed to that after years of typesetting.
If I was running a larger monitor, I'd want a higher resolution (like
when I replace this with a wide screen :)) ) but it is a question of
individual comfort and eyesight ability (aka YMMV)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org