Re: How to change start up screen resolution for X?

nate wrote:
Ross Boylan said:

I am looking for a way to get hardware accelerated 3d performance out of
my video card.  For reasons detailed below, this seems to come down to the
need to start X in a lower resolution and depth than I
customarily use.  I am looking for a good way to do that, or the
encouraging news that some other approach is possible.

put the mode you wish to use on startup as the first mode. e.g. for my
system I use 1600x1200 as my primary modeline, and my
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 has:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "Nvidia Geforce3"
    Monitor     "Viewsonic PF790"
    DefaultDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes      "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

you should be able to start multiple X servers by doing something like
this on the command line

startx -- :1

though, last time I tried I couldn't figure out a good way to specify
a resolution to be used along with color depth on the command line if
I wanted it in a different resolution,

What I do is just make up a second Section "Screen" in the same XF86Config-4 and give it its own identifier. When I want to use it I just do:

startx -- :1 -screen <itsidentifier>