Re: Compiler error: C compiler cannot create executables

At 17:45 18-01-2003 -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:

Are you, by any chance, running a mixture of testing and unstable?  It
seems like you have sources for one version, and another version
installed.  Explicitly tell apt which version you want to install (or
download and dpkg -i the right version).  man apt-get for details -
look for the -t switch, but do some general reading while you're there -
there's a lot of useful stuff in it.

I can't completely rule out that there may be packages from testing
installed, but I have not fiddled with the compiler package at other
times than during install.

This is what I have tried:

===
Isildur:/home/public/incoming# apt-get install libc6-dev/stable
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Selected version 2.2.5-11.2 (Debian:3.0r1a/stable, Debian-Security:3.0/stable) for libc6-dev
Sorry, libc6-dev is already the newest version.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-11.2) but 2.3.1-9 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
===

Oh, so let's do what it says:

===
Isildur:/home/public/incoming# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libc6-dev
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 11.9MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 23430 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libc6-dev ...
Isildur:/home/public/incoming#
===

Good, the queued packages were removed.
So now the dependency problem should be corrected, right? Let's try the install again:

===
Isildur:/home/public/incoming# apt-get install libc6-dev/stable
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Selected version 2.2.5-11.2 (Debian:3.0r1a/stable, Debian-Security:3.0/stable) for libc6-dev
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-11.2) but 2.3.1-9 is to be installed
Isildur:/home/public/incoming#
===

Absolutely no change there. What about dpkg?

===
Isildur:/home/public/incoming# dpkg -i libc6-dev_2.2.5-11.2_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package libc6-dev.
(Reading database ... 22250 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libc6-dev (from libc6-dev_2.2.5-11.2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libc6-dev:
 libc6-dev depends on libc6 (= 2.2.5-11.2); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.1-9.
dpkg: error processing libc6-dev (--install):
 libc6-dev
===

Uh-oh ..

I have libc6 2.3.1-9 on my system. Thats from the unstable dist...
how the h*ck? Well, now what? Can I downgrade libc6 somehow?
Or can I somehow get the thing to allow me to compile programs with
the current libc6 library? (And will they work?)

/geddeth