Re: Compiler error: C compiler cannot create executables

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 12:07:24PM +0100, Achton N. Netherclift wrote:
[snip]
> According to packages.debian.org, the file that is missing according to
> the config.logs (crt1.o) is contained in the libc6-dev package. The file is
> missing on my system, so I attempt to install it:

AFAIK crt1.o would be a temporary file created from the combination of
"conftest.c" and some gcc parts when compiling the C file directly to
an executable.  Your installation is incomplete because you don't have
libc6-dev installed.  All that stuff about gcc not being able to produce
an executable...  GCC needs some of the things provided by libc6-dev.

> Isildur:/# apt-get install libc6-dev
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-11.2) but 2.3.1-9 is to be installed
> E: Sorry, broken packages
>
> The above message confuses me, though. Does that mean that I have 2.2.5
> installed
> and need 2.3.1, or is it the other way around? And why can't I find the
> file crt1.o?

It means, it sees a libc6-dev that depends on libc6 v. 2.2.5-11.2, but
apt has v. 2.3.1-9 scheduled for install.  Try running "apt-get update"
again before proceeding.

--
echo ">gra.fcw@2ztr< eryyvZ .T pveR" | rot13 | reverse