Re: WAS: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related--NOW, I gave up and went back to Mandrake :-(

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:13:23 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> The other half of RPM hell that needs to be fixed if RPM is going to
> be considered usable.

it is actually more a problem of bad packages than a problem of a bad
system, most RPM packages have file dependencies for libraries, so
they have to have /usr/lib/libfubar.4.5.so.3, instead of package
dependencies lie depends on libfubar >= 4.5 etc.

so one could build proper RPMS that interface correclty with third
party RPMS, but since most RPM distros are commercial they have an
interest in their RPMS being the de facto RPMS (the redhat effect) so
not much is done to solve this problem.

the RPM format itself seems to have all the features of deb, what is
missing is tools and a tradition of best practices.

cheers,
Alaa
--
get my PGP/GPG signature at
http://www.geocities.com/alaaov/pub_key.txt

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we
ourselves possess.
        -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]