Re: WAS: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related--NOW, I gave up and went back to Mandrake :-(

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 20:28, Erinn wrote:
> > I never really considered Debian to be for more advanced users.  I
> > installed it just fine back when hamm was current.  Granted, the
> > installer can use some work, and I hear that boot-floppies is being
> > replaced in favor of debian-installer.
>
> It's not so much that debian is difficult to use, but it doesn't
> automatically detect hardware as well as the more commercial, friendlier
> distro's. I would say a large portion of the difficulty is in the
> installer, which I didn't consider to be that difficult. But I'd also
> had time to practice and figure out basic system things while using
> Mandrake - fixing some things is not so obvious in debian, especially
> when switching from a Windows environment. At the very least, using the
> configuration tools in distro's such as Mandrake or RedHat get you more
> familiar with locations of certain files and how things are done. This,
> of course, could work completely differently for other people. I prefer
> to be eased in at some things (although I'd only been using Mandrake
> [read: linux] for a couple of months before switching to Debian.) I had
> to manually configure a lot of things that I'd never had to do before.
>
> I'm of the opinion that as long as you are literate and curious, and
> maybe have some luck with supported hardware, getting virtually any
> distro up and running shouldn't be *that* difficult. It seems as though
> once Debian is running, it's virtually effortless. Kind of a reward for
> any hard work you might have had to put in. :)

(cringeing when I say it)

Me too!!  Started w/ Mandrake, but when RPM Hell bit me one too
many times, I made the jump...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |