Re: WAS: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related--NOW, I gave up and went back to Mandrake :-(

> I never really considered Debian to be for more advanced users.  I
> installed it just fine back when hamm was current.  Granted, the
> installer can use some work, and I hear that boot-floppies is being
> replaced in favor of debian-installer.

It's not so much that debian is difficult to use, but it doesn't
automatically detect hardware as well as the more commercial, friendlier
distro's. I would say a large portion of the difficulty is in the
installer, which I didn't consider to be that difficult. But I'd also
had time to practice and figure out basic system things while using
Mandrake - fixing some things is not so obvious in debian, especially
when switching from a Windows environment. At the very least, using the
configuration tools in distro's such as Mandrake or RedHat get you more
familiar with locations of certain files and how things are done. This,
of course, could work completely differently for other people. I prefer
to be eased in at some things (although I'd only been using Mandrake
[read: linux] for a couple of months before switching to Debian.) I had
to manually configure a lot of things that I'd never had to do before.

I'm of the opinion that as long as you are literate and curious, and
maybe have some luck with supported hardware, getting virtually any
distro up and running shouldn't be *that* difficult. It seems as though
once Debian is running, it's virtually effortless. Kind of a reward for
any hard work you might have had to put in. :)

Suffering from a case of Debi-Zen,
Erinn