Re: [apt] Disabling upgrade to insecure packages

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 15:46:36 +0000, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> Really? This is not what the apt_preferences man page says. In
> particular
>
> "Each package may be pinned to a specific version and each Packages
> file has a priority for every package inside. The highest priority
> assigned to a package is the one that is used."
>
> I admit I haven't looked at the source code, so I don't know how this
> is implemented, but it seems clear to me. Also, this is not just
> theoretical. I have a bunch of X 4.1 packages installed, and the lines
> in the apt preferences file prevent them from being upgraded to the
> more recent 4.2 version. I thought this is what you were
> after. Correct me if I was mistaken.

But what if you want to allow the upgrade to 4.3 (or higher) when it
becomes available? This is the problem.

> > I would like something like the opposite: give a low score to some
> > version, but I don't know how to do this, because the generic rules
> > seem to take the precedence in this case.
>
> But the other versions would by default have lower scores, so would
> not be installed in favour of your pinned version. The version
> installed is always the version with the highest pin number. Note that
> 1000 is the downgrade prevention barrier, so with the above Pin even
> more recent versions should be removed in favour of the pinned
> version.

which is not what I want.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International