Re: [apt] Disabling upgrade to insecure packages

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:04:37 +0100, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:36:27 -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>> There is nothing (that I know of) in the packaging system to know which
>> packages are secure and which are not.  You would need to put the
>> package on hold during the insecure times and remove it from hold after.
>
> Well, if one could put on hold a particular version of a package
> (given by the user), it would be better than nothing. Is there a
> way to do this?

Of course. Just put in an entry in /etc/apt/preferences with
sufficiently high pin number. Eg. I've put all my X packages on hold
because I am running testing but have problems with 4.2. So I have

Package: xfree86-common
Pin: version 4.1.0-16
Pin-Priority: 1001

etc. etc. See also apt_preferences. HTH.          Faheem.