Re: Making a DSL server?

nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [2003-01-08 17:32:05 -0800]:

> Michael D. Crawford said:
>
> > I expect that if I were an ISP and needed to service hundreds of
> > connections,  this wouldn't be a problem.  Does anyone make DSL server
> > hardware that serves  one connection?  What do I even look for.
>
> not sure about your neck of the woods, but in mine, my DSL is plain
> ethernet.

Let me second that.  Except for the modem nothing else knows or can
tell that the network is DSL hosted versus cable modem versus any
other type of network.  If your systems use DHCP then there is no
further configuration to be done.

> and of course you should have a static IP address. But if the modem
> handles any/all authentication and routing .....theres nothing to
> test IMO.

Agreed about nothing to test.  But disagree about static addresses.
In a retail location why would static addresses be needed?  In fact I
think a fully DHCP configuration would be more desirable.  Most
clients just want to have things plug together and have them work.
They do not want to need to configure things.

> > I am making plans for developing a turnkey system that will be
> > installed in retail stores, that will have a DSL connection.

You did not say, but will the end client location be purely clients?
Or will they also be servers as well?  If the system can be designed
such that your retail locations can be pure clients only it will mean
you can use DHCP and everything is simple.

Bob