Re: Adding a ide drive to an all scsi computer

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 07:50 pm, Michael Kahle wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I hope you all can help me resolve my problem.
>
> I am currently running Debian Sid on my computer.  I have 3 SCSI drives in
> it and I would like to add a fourth IDE drive to it.  I have a 80 GB drive
> that would be a great chunk-o-diskTM for me to store all kinds of goodies
> on.  I originally built the system with one SCSI drive and later added the
> two others.  This worked great for me!  But here's my problem.  I have
> heard that by adding a IDE drive into the system I will no longer be able
> to boot off of my SCSI drive.  Is that true?  I guess there is some BIOS
> issue with that.  To add to the complexity of this, the drive has about 50
> GB of data that I want to keep... Oh, and it is formatted NTFS (Windows
> 2000).  Can I add this IDE drive 'as is' without re-formatting it?  I seem
> to remember seeing that I could mount a NTFS file system somewhere.
>
> If you need more information, no problem.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Michael

Drives are mounted from entries in '/etc/fstab'.  If you don't add an entry
before booting with the new drive nothing will happen to the drive when you
first boot. The problem is ntfs is not a well supported file system for
read/writes from Linux. I would back up the data somewhere, reformat the disk
then restore the data to the hd.

As far as booting IDE or SCSi there are differences in bios's. Some offer a
choice between IDE or SCSI and some will boot the master drive on the primary
IDE controller no matter what. You can test your box, you can always mount
the IDE drive as a slave  to avoid the issue.
--
Greg Madden