Re: Making a DSL server?

Michael D. Crawford said:

> I expect that if I were an ISP and needed to service hundreds of
> connections,  this wouldn't be a problem.  Does anyone make DSL server
> hardware that serves  one connection?  What do I even look for.

not sure about your neck of the woods, but in mine, my DSL is plain
ethernet. I have a Cisco 678 modem in bridged mode(no PPPoE, no authentication
or any of that other crap), with an ethernet line that goes to my switch.
Then I have 4 static ips(no DHCP).

so my DSL connection is just like an ethernet connection as far as my
computers go, only it comes with a default route :)

its wonderful.

Even with PPPoE or whatever you should not have to worry about anything
DSL related provided the modem handles everything, and of course you should
have a static IP address. But if the modem handles any/all authentication
and routing .....theres nothing to test IMO. Your likely to have more problems
with the DSL line going down then anything else.

nate