Re: Windows Telnet

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 07:57:15PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 04:00:10PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> >     Not to mention that the aforementioned terminals are
> > nowhere-near as adaptable and reliable as xterm. It was one of the
> > only terms that supported turning off BoldMode, for example, and can
> > be compiled with logging. I hate the fact that KDE/Gnome developers
> > don't like X resources. Now I have to go to three places to
> > customize my apps instead of one. Thanks for nothing.
>
> I agree.  They really should have started with XTerm and took some of
> the basic settings for XTerms and put it in the preferences, and had
> an advanced button or something to play with everything else xterm is
> capable of.  And used the Xresources for all of these options when
> saving them out.

Some people have considered xterm too crufty to hack on. When the PuTTY
author started out writing PuTTY, he initially planned to hack together
the source code of xterm and telnet (it was just going to be a telnet
client at first), but apparently it was too hideous, so he started from
scratch. Certainly from a maintainability point of view the results are
much better.

And pterm uses X resources, of course.