Re: Windows Telnet

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
>> Fonts in xterms are just plain hard to read.
>
> Not if you have the right font.  xterm has even had Xft support
> longer than KDE or GNOME's terminals.
>
> Of course, configuring xterms can be annoying....

I've actually had a little bit of a bad experience trying to do this.
I have Deep XResources Magic that causes fonts to come up at the
reported resolution of the display and to prefer scalable fonts,
rather than using fixed 75 or 100dpi fonts.  My normal xterm font is
11pt Courier; trying 'xterm -fa Courier -fs 11' comes out looking
noticably different (notably, with more leading).

(1) Is this just intrinsic lossage, or something xterm does badly?
    I've shunned gnome-terminal in the past; should I reconsider it in
    a GNOME 2 world?

(2) I see xftlsfonts is parallel to xlsfonts to list the Xft fonts in
    the world.  Is there something parallel to xfontsel?

	-- Abra Mitchell