How to mount external usb drive

Hi list

I'm the proud owner of an Archos jukebox mp3 player, which is, in fact,
nothing else than an external usb drive (20 gig) with buit-in mp3-decoder.
I have loaded the usb modules (usbcore & usb-uhci), apt-get installed
usbview, libusb0, usbutils, but I cannot see if the device is detected.
usbview says "Can not open /proc/bus/usb/devices", which does not exist.
It says furthermore "verify that the usbdevfs is mounted".
However, I have a kernel without devfs, does that make it impossible to use
usb drives?

Thanks for helping me (or pointing me to the right docs...)

thanks
joerg