ARGH, weird SCSI I/O errors on second/third drive on Debian/PPC

I am having some weird, weird SCSI I/O errors. I'm running Debian/PowerPC
on an "Old World" (beige) Mac-- namely, a Power Mac 7300/180 (the 7300s
were sold overseas, and are uncommon in the USA; they are roughly on par
with the 7500s, I believe.. if not a bit higher-end) with a G3/220 CPU
upgrade.

The system has worked fine for a long while. However, when I tried to
install some more SCSI drives into it (KNOWN WORKING drives), I get some
curious I/O errors which prevent me from using the system. The system only
seems to work properly when I use it with ONE hard drive. When I add more,
I get these problems.

The poop:

* First hard drive is a 1GB Quantum
* Second hard drive is a 4GB something-or-other
* Third hard drive is one of those big old "boat anchor"/"freight train"
4GB drives. It fills the whole bottom bay of the Mac (twice as high as a
typical "modern" hard drive). It's at the end of the SCSI chain, so I
enabled the terminator on it. That is the only termination on the chain,
as far as I know. The information on this drive and the (many) jumper
options availble on it (nice drive!) is at:
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st15150n.html (yes, it's a
Seagate Barracuda ST15150N).

The problem seems to happen whenever I'm working (reading/writing) on the
second or third drive. I get I/O errors, and kernelspam like this:

Dec 27 19:36:35 fortitude kernel: EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,34)):
  ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 3717479526,
count = 1
Dec 27 19:36:35 fortitude kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
Dec 27 19:36:35 fortitude kernel: EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,34)):
  ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 620094437,
count = 1
Dec 27 19:36:35 fortitude kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
  cks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 2460472751, count = 1
  cks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 1739398958, count = 1

For instance, whenever I try to mkisofs from a directory tree, after some
given percentage (it will get maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the way through a disc) it
will say "mkisofs: Input/output error. cannot read from (FILENAME)", and
then the drive begins going "click, click, click, click, click, click,
click," slowly and rhythmically (around 1.5-2 times a second, I'd say).

At this point, the machine is essentially unusable, since the whole SCSI
bus seems out of whack; even trying to do an ls on a directory on the
FIRST drive screws up. Like this:

fortitude:/home/shared/cds/cosmo# cd /var/log
fortitude:/var/log# ls -l
(SYSTEM JUST SITS THERE, RHYTMICALLY CLICKING AWAY)

The kernel I use is 2.4.20; I compiled it myself. Other than this bug, it
works perfectly.

Please, could someone help me? Is this a termination issue? Is this a
known bug? What in heck is wrong with my Mac?

--Jessica

--
J e s s i c a    L e a h    B l a n k