kppp password problem

Hi all:
Though I am able to connect dialup to my ISP using pon/poff , I am not able to
do so using kppp. Because kppp when connected to ISP gives me the followong
error:

"pppd[1072]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
pppd[1072]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use
to do so.
pppd[1072]: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)"

well, the password is correct, because as I said, I am able to connect to the
ISP via pon/poff using the same password.

Any ideas of why this is occuring?

BTW, I am using KDE 3.1.0 RC5 on a mixture of sarge/sid

cheers
Aryan