Re: kppp password problem

Aryan Ameri wrote:
Hi all:
Though I am able to connect dialup to my ISP using pon/poff , I am not able to do so using kppp. Because kppp when connected to ISP gives me the followong error:

"pppd[1072]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
pppd[1072]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
pppd[1072]: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)"

well, the password is correct, because as I said, I am able to connect to the ISP via pon/poff using the same password.

Any ideas of why this is occuring?

BTW, I am using KDE 3.1.0 RC5 on a mixture of sarge/sid

cheers
Aryan

IIRC, kppp uses a file called "kppprc" to control the pppd program. About the only files it shares in common with the pon/poff system is the /etc/ppp/options file. There lies the rub! The /etc/ppp/options file is set up with the "auth" command and unless another control file overides it. If not overidden, then the remote computer will be required to authorize itself to your computer, which most ISPs will not do!

You have a couple of "solutions" depending on your needs. The reason the "auth" command is in the /etc/ppp/options file is so your computer can be set-up as a "dial-in" providing PPP connections to other computers. This is the Debian "standard" setup, as is the pon/poff dial-out system. If you never want to have a "dial-in" computer, you can simply change the /etc/ppp/options "auth" to "noauth". Beware, when you do this your system becomes non-standard and future package upgrades might not work correctly or your "fix" will be changed back...

The second option I know about is to put the "noauth" option in the kppprc file. This is a "priviledged command" that can only be run by root, and I really don't know if doing this will only work for root logins or will work for all users. (It has been a while since I used this). Each user has a kppprc file located in ~/.kde/share/config/kppprc. You will have to add the line "pppdArguments=noauth" to all the [Account "n"] sections. You can also do this through the kppp setup menu for each account. I believe there is a screen where you can add additional pppd arguments.

Either way will work...you just have to experiment a bit and accept the trade-offs mentioned abouve. Personally, I always used the first method, as I had no need for a dial-in PPP service, and it was just a single edit. Others will disagree... YMMV.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-