Linux box loses internet connection...

I have 2 boxes with Debian installed.  I thought I’d done things pretty similarly but they must have diverged at some point, because one of the boxes is prone to losing touch with the network.  If the power adapter slips out of my switch (if I knock it for instance) and is then replaced, then one of my debian machines immediately knows its place in the world but the other one needs rebooting in order to be able to ping the other boxes or find anything on the internet.

Does anyone know what might be causing this fragility in one machine but not the other?

alan