Re: Distribution tailored for education

> Chris Lale wrote:
Deryk Barker wrote: What I was wodnering was this: it seemed a good
idea to produce our own distribution which we could hand to the
students (particularly the first years, some of whom have very little
experience) for them to install on their home systems and have the
same desktop setup as at school. (Before I go on I should point out
that we are a community college, not high school, so our requirements
are somewhat different - e.g. java)

It also seemed obvious to me (the recent convert) that basing it on
RH or similar would be creating an ongoing upgrade problem for
ourselves and the students

> Have a look at KNOPPIX GNU/Linux
> (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) which is Debian-based
> but boots and runs entirely from CDROM. (It can make use of existing
> Linux swap partitions or use a DOS file as swap space.) It can
> contain a large ammount of compressed software (2MB from memory) and
> you can produce your own customised version. When you need to
> upgrade, just issue students with a new CD!

You may save yourself a lot of effort by visiting the OFSET
(Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching) website at
http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/ . They have already produced a
Knoppix/Debian CD for education.

There are screenshots and CD iso download details at
http://www.ofset.org/projects/edusoft/edusoft.html , and a catalogue by
subject at http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/ .

Hth, and please let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Chris.
|  ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>                  |
| | <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (http://www.debian.org). |
| \      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications. |