Re: .xsession & wdm

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 09:01, Tom wrote:
> 20/12/02 08:41, Mark L. Kahnt writes:
>
> > It is when I've been out of bed more than ten minutes - sorry. Just
> > often the first problem I hear on such things. There are no stray
> > non-printing characters in the file, I presume.
>
> Nope.
>
> > If you copy it to be
> > .xinitrc and do "startx -- :<first unused display>" from a console, does
> > it work for you?
>
> Yes it does...
>
> > Would you remember which file was written first - yours
> > or the other one?
>
> Well, in fact it went like this:
>
> * I write my .xsession-file, all works.
> * I copy my .xsession-file to the other user's home-dir, all works.
> * I change both the files, only the other user's file works.
> * I copy the other user's file to my home-dir, to no avail; only the
>   other file works.

I had all manner of other information and test to suggest, until I
looked at the file again. I bet you and the other account have different
.bashrc files, and your top line is confusing things for you rather than
the other user. You aren't doing anything in the .xsession itself that
should require declaring the bash shell for interpretting the file,
partly because .xsession isn't actually an executable. You are probably
setting some environment variables via .bashrc by doing this, but you
may also be doing something in yours that is mucking up the
interpretation of the rest of the file.

Lose #!/bin/bash and place anything you do feel you need to declare into
.xsession, and see if that helps.

> Another thingy: when I test starting X with xdm instead of wdm, all
> works well. So I'm starting to wonder if wdm reads the .xsession
> file at all. But if it doesn't, why does it work with the other
> user?
>
> *sigh*
>
> Greets,
> Tom
>
> --
> "Alles stimmt, gilt, nimmt teil und bildet
> eine Vollzaehligkeit, in der nichts fehlt."
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org