Re: wisdom of updating woody python & gtk to unstable

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 09:28:57PM -0500, David Z Maze wrote:
| Luc Lefebvre <luc.lefebvre@mcgill.ca> writes:
| > I am developing an app using the default woody python/gtk install.  Would
| > it be wise to update to the "unstable" python <2.2> and python-gnome
| > <1.99> and all of the associated libraries.  Basically I would like the
| > added functionality in the newer python-gnome bindings but wouldn't want
| > to break my system.
|
| I think python-2.2 is the first version where, by default, lambdas
| work the way I expect:

That's the "nested_scopes" feature.  In 2.1 it is part of the
__future__.  That is, by default it is disabled but you can access it
with the line
    from __future__ import nested_scopes
at the beginning of the module.  In 2.2 nested_scopes became
mandatory.

BTW, I have version 2.2.2-1 of the 'python' package, which means
/usr/bin/python is version 2.2.  I actually use 2.2 (or 2.3, if I am
able) for nearly everything anyways.  YMMV.   (2.3 isn't actually
released as stable yet, so the debian package is like a "sneak
preview")

-D

--
Yes, Java is so bulletproofed that to a C programmer it feels like being in a
straightjacket, but it's a really comfy and warm straightjacket, and the world

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/