sound module stuck

Hi folks!

Is there any way to force the removal of a loaded kernel module? For
some reason, my sound just stopped working and all audio programs are
saying that they cant open my audio device, and so I was going to try to
reload the module for my soundcard, but when I do an rmmod es1370 it
says that it is in use (though i'm pretty sure its not. man rmmod has no
mention of a "force" switch. Is this something that can be done? Is it
stupid to even want to do something like that?

awaiting enlightenment,

davidc