Re: Compiling software on a Debian system..

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 12:56:00PM -0600, Sonny Kupka wrote:
> Why is it apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade now thinks qpopper should be
> updated, even though the source download is the same as I already have,
> unless the new qpopper* source isn't updated...

Increment the version number in debian/changelog when you're building a
modified version.

> I like to compile, is there easier ways, of getting your compile options in
> to a program rather than having to edit the debian/rules file?
>
> Seems like when go to recompile, it should ask you what configure flags you
> want for that program, rather than using the packagers flags, I mean you
> are re-compiling it for some reason :)

One of the most common uses of Debian source packages is when
autobuilders are building them for other architectures, so no, that's
not a viable strategy. Also, when I'm building a package from source,
it's usually to debug some kind of problem with the Debian package, and
at that point I want to use the same options as the package.

In my experience, upstream source distributions are too varied for
somebody unfamiliar with any particular package to be able to just say
"yeah, I want this set of configure flags" and expect a working binary.
If it were otherwise, Debian packaging would be trivial, which it isn't.

Either continue editing debian/rules or build it yourself minus the
Debian packaging.

Cheers,