From: Colin Watson [mailto:cjwatson@debian.org]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 6:43 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Needing an old version of gcc...

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:34:35PM -0800, alan brown wrote:
> When installing oracle9i the installer threw an error before it even
got
> started saying that it couldn't find a gcc file that it needed, namely
> libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2.  So I looked in my /usr/lib directory and
saw
> that I had files very similar to those files
> (libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so) so I symlinked the missing filename
> the one I had.

Don't do that. I'm guessing that you've just found out why. The version
numbers are significant, and cannot in general be safely ignored like
this.

Instead, delete that symlink and use the search engine at
http://packages.debian.org/ to find the library. In this case, you'll
find it in the libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 package.

Cheers,