Re: ACPI and sleep mode

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 17:15, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Noah L. Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2002.12.13.2030 +0100]:
> > The ACPI implementation in Linux 2.4 is really not very useful.  I'm not
> > sure that you can actually put your laptop to sleep with it.
>
> echo 1 >| /proc/acpi/sleep
>
> will make my Dell's LED flash, the fan slowly decrease in speed, the
> mouse freeze, but it doesn't turn off the display. pressing the power
> buttong turns the display off but makes the system come back to normal
> otherwise. i then have to switch to tty1 to activate the display, then
> back to X.
>
> wonder if this is the kernel or just another problem with my Dell.

AFAIK acpi is not intended to handle software suspend on its own.
instead, the swsusp patch (which is now a part of the 2.5 kernel
series), handles all the suspend to disk. It basically dumps you ram to
your swap partition, then you set up two lilo entries, one to boot
normally, one to restore from disk. It seems rather complicated at the
moment. I went to what I would call considerable effort to get all acpi
working on my laptop (down to modifying the acpi asl code) but never was
able to get swsusp working. As always though, YMMV.

-Mark