Re: ACPI and sleep mode

also sprach Noah L. Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2002.12.13.2030 +0100]:
> The ACPI implementation in Linux 2.4 is really not very useful.  I'm not
> sure that you can actually put your laptop to sleep with it.

echo 1 >| /proc/acpi/sleep

will make my Dell's LED flash, the fan slowly decrease in speed, the
mouse freeze, but it doesn't turn off the display. pressing the power
buttong turns the display off but makes the system come back to normal
otherwise. i then have to switch to tty1 to activate the display, then
back to X.

wonder if this is the kernel or just another problem with my Dell.
Fuck Dell. Excuse my French!

> ACPI is being completely re-written in 2.5.  There has been talk of
> backporting the new ACPI drivers to 2.4, but the 2.4 maintainer doesn't
> like the idea since it's so big a change.

I think I'll give the 2.5 series a shot...

> > How Do I suspend my laptop to RAM from within Linux?
>
> I think you'll probably have to use APM.

Then I am back at the old problem of losing keystrokes. If APM is in
the kernel, X loses every 14th keystroke (or more).

I just recently had it configured so that it allowed sleep mode but
apparently didn't have APM. I think without any power management in
the kernel. If 2.5 doesn't help, I'll go back to that.

--
Please do not CC me! Get a proper mailer instead: www.mutt.org

`. `'`

NOTE: The public PGP keyservers are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc