Re: strange problem compiling source rpms

Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> [2002-12-13 21:05:46 +0000]:
> I see. But in that case the error message does seem rather misleading.
> Why does it complain about not being able to make directories if it is
> not trying to make them? (I haven't examined the internals of rpm).

Since it is not a message that anyone working on the code normally
ever sees.  Therefore there is no itch to scratch and no one has fixed
it yet.

> I would have thought the only way there might be problems would be if
> multiple users were to try to build rpms (as user) in /usr/src/rpm,
> and then only if they were trying to build the same package. There
> would then be problems with files with different permissions colliding
> with each other. Is this correct?

Yes, you have it right.  But for a user to be able to make files in
/usr/src they need to have added themself to the 'src' group.  Many
do.  Many don't.  In any case it is one more thing to need to
remember.  I prefer to work in my home directory.

> I recently ran into this problem with kernel building, and I'm now
> using /usr/local/src/login-name as a build area for packages (eg
> kernel) that I am building myself on a multiuser system. I prefer
> this to /home/replay-with-your-login-name-here/src/

Very good!

Bob