Re: strange problem compiling source rpms

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:53:27 -0800 (PST), nate
<debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

> Faheem Mitha said:
>> Dear People,
>
>> In case anyone is wondering, I am trying to install the src rpm in order
>> to compile it, an operation I had earlier successfully done on my home
>> computer.
>

> I am no RPM expert but anytime I wanted to compile a source rpm I did
>
> rpm --rebuild filename.src.rpm
>
> its worked well for almost every package, is this not the right
> way ?

Yes, but before it can compile, it has to first install the source rpm.

> after it's compiled it usually dumps a binary rpm somewhere in
> /usr/src/rpms.

Yes, this is what should happen in theory. However, this does not work
either, at least on the new computer. I get similar errors, ie.

laplace:/home/faheem# rpm --rebuild plugger-4.0-17.src.rpm
Installing plugger-4.0-17.src.rpm
error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/rpm/SOURCES
error: plugger-4.0-17.src.rpm cannot be installed

It works fine on my home computer. I'll try this on another computer
and see if I can reproduce this behaviour.

                                              Faheem.