Re: IMAP recommendations

> cool.  I'm using postfix.  But I've never heard of LMTP...
>
> Any starting points for RTFM-ing?
> I found something on the postfix.org site...
> In the postfix "big picture", where does this fit/replace?

LMTP is Local Mail Transfer Protocol.  You can read all you want about it
in RFC 2033.  The idea of having Postfix use LMTP is performance, it
replaces the use of an external program (in this case, cyrdeliver) to do
the delivery.

cyrdeliver also uses LMTP, but if you can get your MTA to connect to Cyrus
(either by unix socket or tcp/ip) and deliver via LMTP, you can eliminate
the middleman and rack up some performance.

Since using a unix socket introduces permissions problems, I took the easy
road and used tcp/ip.

In /etc/postfix/main.cf:

mailbox_transport=lmtp:inet:localhost:lmtp

In /etc/cyrus.conf:

lmtp       cmd="lmtpd -a" listen="localhost:lmtp" prefork=0 maxchild=20

(Note that the -a means connections to the LMTP port are preauthorized,
which is potentially a security risk, but since I'm the only local user on
my box I didn't care)

Hope this helps.

--
Chris Hilts