Re: IMAP recommendations

Tom Allison said:
> I'm looking for suggestions on which of the .deb available IMAP
> servers might do well for scalability and security.
>
> I am planning on tying this in with a webmail interface, probably
> squirrelmail.

I use cyrus, its quite scalable, very fast. Courier is good too I
hear(no personal experience). Cyrus has a serious security bug in
it at the moment, hasn't been fixed yet in debian.

another downside to cyrus in debian woody is its very old(probably 3-4
years old). Debian unstable has a newer version of cyrus(never tried it).

the old one works great for me though, supports quotas, shared mailboxes,
inboxes-without-accounts(e.g. the email address I am writing is only
an email address an an INBOX, theres no username/password associated
with it), good file locking for multiple simultaneous logins of the same
account, the imap server indexes all mail so when you view folders it
doesn't have to re-process all the files in the directory(1 file per
email message) ..

for webmail I use squirrelmail 1.2.9 from the squirrelmail site, haven't
tried the debianized version(since I've been using SM for 2 years, didn't
see a reason to switch :) )

nate