Re: Sounds of silence--I want volume!

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 12:07:25AM +0000, Chris Owen wrote:

> >Carel Fellinger wrote:
> >>I think it's ill advice, not worthy of this list --sory for the rant,
> >>it's not personally, it's just that you're not the first to give such
> >>nonsensical advice, it seems that it's even a favourite one lately:(--
> Consider me humbly chastised for being "not worthy" of contributing to

Never ment to imply you not being worthy etc.!  Guess I owe you an
apology then.  Sorry for the tone and such Chris.

> the list, I will wait until I get my PHd in Debian Linux before trying
> to be helpful again.  However, perhaps you can explain to this unworthy
> soul why my advice was "nonsensical"?  I merely assumed that, like 99.9%
> of users, Haralambos wants all the users on his machine to be able to
> access his CD-ROM...

I was reacting to the bypassing of the group machanism in general, not
so much in this particular case. Should have been much clearer on that.

Once people get used to bypassing the group based protection layer they
will do it in other cases too, atleast that's what I fear. (on the other
hand, I've seen people add themselves to the disc group, just to be able
to read scsi cdroms:)

Debian is set up to use the group system and uses it to make the
system more reliable and secure, and I think we as Debian users should
advice each other to go along with it, and not to undermine it.

> I accept that your method is more sophisticated, and even better; but
> not that mine is nonsensical.  Mine does have the advantage that it

I agree with you that in this particular case your's is not nonsensical,
I apologies again for wording it like that.  But I do believe it's the
wrong route.

> works, there's no problem with it that I can see, and he won't have to
> remember this whole rigmarole again if he ever adds a new user then
> wonders why they can't access the CD (wait, I'm sure I had this problem

hm, it works, I admitt to that, and me too I don't see no problems in
this case, but to fool with access controll just to compensate for our
bad memory, yack:) I guess something can be done with adduser's config
file to *enhance* our memory instead...nop, let's try the man page
then...hm..costum script..yep.  Just do:

   # echo 'adduser $1 /usr/local/sbin/cdrom'  >>/usr/local/sbin/adduser.local

So there you have it, no need for your trickery:)

--
groetjes, carel