Re: Sounds of silence--I want volume!

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:29:08AM +1300, Haralambos Geortgilakis wrote:

> Hi All & Carel
>
> who confesses to ranting.
>
> Please don't.

I'm lost, don't do what?  confessing or ranting:)

> Your fix isn't.

You mean that adding youself to the group cdrom, changing back the
ownership/access permissions, logging in again, didn't result in sound?

> My 'cdrom" is actually a link to my ASUS "dvdrom."

Ah, then you'll have to look at the ownership/access permissions on the
device you're really using. ( /dev/hd[bc] are likely candidates)

> What I needed to do, I think, is create this group & then add myself to
> it too?

These groups should exist, but yes, you should add all who need to
have sound and be able to access the cdrom. e.g.:

   # adduser your-user-name sound
   # adduser your-user-name cdrom

> So, how do I undo the previous cmd, just with a "-"?

argg, top posting, I'm lost again:) You want to get the proper
ownership/access permissions back on your dvd player? e.g.:

  ### let us asume your dvdplayer is on /dev/hdac
  # chown root:cdrom /dev/hdc
  # chmod ug=rw,o= /dev/hdc

--
groetjes, carel