Re: inetd error (I believe identd is the cause. How to fix?)

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:19:33AM -0800, Michelle Storm wrote:
> *** Sorry for this being so long, but I'm trying to be thorough ***
>
> > yes most likely it will. depending on what was using ident, if it was
> > another process, or if it was a hung socket in TIME_WAIT .. as another
> > poster noted you may have 2 copies of ident trying to run. I reccomend
>
> I just removed "gidentd" and replaced it with "ident2" doing this didn't
> solve the problem, it just sort of changed the error a little. It did
> make me notice something else. I do like ident2 as it will allow me to
> change ident from my home directories instead of creating a new user just
> to get a different ident.
>

> 1) Dec  2 23:33:47 dragon inetd[20855]: ident2/tcp: unknown service
> 2) Dec  2 23:37:15 dragon inetd[20861]: auth/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated
> 1) I think I corrected it. I entered the new ident2 into the inetd.conf
>    incorrectly. Made that go away by correcting it.

Should be fine.

> 2) I noticed something in "man ident2"
> 	-p, --daemon-port
> 	Daemon-only: Bind this port, instead of 'auth' aka 113

I'd just leave that, since the IRC servers won't be able to connect to
your ident server if you move it away from 113.

> *** Back to my vague memory ***
> I remember something during an update with dselect that said something about
> changing auth/bind or some such. It said it was changing my "/etc/group"
> *** End vague memory ***
>
> Could this be the problem? Could it be trying to use auth, but that
> update made it so auth is no longer called auth or something? *wish I
> remembered exactly what the error was.
>
> Or if I'm on a totally wrong track? Any ideas what to do. I use IRC a lot,
> and some of the servers I connect to require ident to be running.

This looks like the problem.

> Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[18456]: getpwnam: identd: No such user
> Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[14887]: /usr/sbin/identd: exit status 0x1
> Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[18457]: getpwnam: identd: No such user
> Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[14887]: /usr/sbin/identd: exit status 0x1
> 	the above 4 lines repeated alot only the [#####] changed, then it ended
> 	with the below line.
>
> Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[14887]: auth/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated

identd is failing to start because it cannot access info about the
identd user.  Presumably the identd package should have created it for
you.  I'd either purge the package, the reinstall and hope that it does
what it's supposed to (the easy way), or read through it's preinst and
postinst scripts to see what it should have done, then do it yourself
(the slightly less easy way).

> *** Final note ***
> I am really tired right now, so I might have made this unneccessarily
> long. But I'm pretty sure that the issue I'm having has to do with one
> or all of the following:
>
> inetd.conf (incorrect entry): ident stream tcp wait identd /usr/sbin/ident2 ident2 -i -n -o 60
> -i = allow ~/.ident
> -n = allow ~/.noident
> -o = Clients timeout after this many seconds

The package should have taken care of this itself.  If it doesn't work
after trying the above, and no-one pipes up about how I screwed up,
report a bug, I reckon.

-rob