*solved* Re: Error: inetd[597]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 02:31:27PM -0800, nate wrote:
> Michelle Storm said:
> > I keep getting this error repeated. Anyone tell me what is causing it so I
> > can look into fixing it?
> >

> > System Events
> > =-=-=-=-=-=-Dec  2 10:02:41 dragon inetd[597]: auth/tcp: bind: Address
> > already in use
>
> 1) stop inetd (/etc/init.d/inetd stop)
> 2) check processes to be sure it is stopped
> 3) run fuser -n tcp 113
> 4) see if any processes are returned, if so, stop them
> 5) if not, check netstat -an | grep 113 and see if anything comes up,
> if something comes up in TIME_WAIT then you should wait until it goes away
> before starting inetd again(or at least starting inetd with that service)
> 6) start up inetd again
>
> auth(ident) is most often used for IRC. If you do not use IRC I reccomend
> turning it off. It provides no real benefit otherwise, since ident responses
> are easily spoofed. I personally run oidentd for my identd needs.
>
> nate
>

> --

Thanks This fixed it. ( I am on IRC all the time )

Will this error return if I have to reboot? Just wanting to know cause
I'd rebooted recently, and I don't want to have to do this every time I
reboot.

BTW: I do remember something about a bind/auth update when I did dselect
a few days ago. Could that be the cause?

--
Michelle Alexia "Jade" Storm
Dragon Impersonating a Human and failing.