inetd error (I believe identd is the cause. How to fix?)

*** Sorry for this being so long, but I'm trying to be thorough ***

> yes most likely it will. depending on what was using ident, if it was
> another process, or if it was a hung socket in TIME_WAIT .. as another
> poster noted you may have 2 copies of ident trying to run. I reccomend

I just removed "gidentd" and replaced it with "ident2" doing this didn't
solve the problem, it just sort of changed the error a little. It did
make me notice something else. I do like ident2 as it will allow me to
change ident from my home directories instead of creating a new user just
to get a different ident.

1) Dec  2 23:33:47 dragon inetd[20855]: ident2/tcp: unknown service
2) Dec  2 23:37:15 dragon inetd[20861]: auth/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated
1) I think I corrected it. I entered the new ident2 into the inetd.conf
   incorrectly. Made that go away by correcting it.
2) I noticed something in "man ident2"
	-p, --daemon-port
	Daemon-only: Bind this port, instead of 'auth' aka 113

*** Back to my vague memory ***
I remember something during an update with dselect that said something about
changing auth/bind or some such. It said it was changing my "/etc/group"
*** End vague memory ***

Could this be the problem? Could it be trying to use auth, but that
update made it so auth is no longer called auth or something? *wish I
remembered exactly what the error was.

Or if I'm on a totally wrong track? Any ideas what to do. I use IRC a lot,
and some of the servers I connect to require ident to be running.

> dpkg -l | grep ident
>
> to see what packages are installed for ident, if there is more then
> one, remove one of them(sounds like the case), if theres only one,
> either prevent it from starting on boot(it should have an init script)
> or comment it out of inetd.conf

This is what is running now:
dragon:/etc# dpkg -l | grep ident
ii  discover       1.5-1.4        hardware identification system
ii  ident2         1.03-4         An advanced ident daemon
ii  libdiscover1   1.5-1.4        hardware identification library
ii  libident       0.22-2         simple RFC1413 client library - runtime

A little more info just in case:
--------------------------------
Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[18456]: getpwnam: identd: No such user
Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[14887]: /usr/sbin/identd: exit status 0x1
Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[18457]: getpwnam: identd: No such user
Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[14887]: /usr/sbin/identd: exit status 0x1
	the above 4 lines repeated alot only the [#####] changed, then it ended
	with the below line.

Dec  2 22:11:31 dragon inetd[14887]: auth/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated

this is the only error I'm getting at since I replaced "gidentd" with
"ident2" and after correcting the entry in "inetd.conf"

Dec  2 23:37:15 dragon inetd[20861]: auth/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated

*** Final note ***
I am really tired right now, so I might have made this unneccessarily
long. But I'm pretty sure that the issue I'm having has to do with one
or all of the following:

inetd.conf (incorrect entry): ident stream tcp wait identd /usr/sbin/ident2 ident2 -i -n -o 60
-i = allow ~/.ident
-n = allow ~/.noident
-o = Clients timeout after this many seconds

ident2 (something to do with "auth")

bind (I don't have bind installed, but I do have bind9-host installed. I
     DID about 2 weeks ago, install bind9, but it was removed less than an
     hour after I installed it.)

--
Michelle Alexia "Jade" Storm
Dragon Impersonating a Human and failing.