Re: How insecure are cable connections, versus dialup?

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:46:56PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Now that is the best reason given so far for a separate component!
> The modem is really a fuse to protect the system behind it.  When the
> fuse blows you replace the fuse.  :-)

This is why I say internal modems/DSL bridges/cable bridges are
harmful.  Do you *really* want to have something passing potentially
unchecked high voltage plugged into your motherboard?

Surge protectors for phone line and cable coax don't work well:  The
phone line ones tend to limit speed, and the cable coax ones tend to
interfere with channels 2-6, any MPEG encoded channels, and cable
internet service (and usually strong enough line noise to have your
neighbors complain to the cable company, which in turn will track it
down, and cut your service until you remove the interfering device,
and send you a four-figure bill for wasted time).

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user