Re: How insecure are cable connections, versus dialup?

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 03:04:25PM -0500, Chip Rose wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a Cox cable connection/modem, and was wondering
> how hard it is to make the static IP address secure.

Don't have any ports open that you don't need, avoid DROP (use DENY),
leave yourself pingable.  If you don't need to be running a service,
don't do it.

> A cable modem that I could
> lease or buy on Ebay, and a network interface card, and turn off all
> unneeded services - how easy would it be for someone to hack me, and what
> all could they generally accomplish?

Hack you?  Impossible.  Crack?  Depends on how well you make yourself
look undesirable.  (Please learn the difference between hacking and
cracking, it's a very important distinction.  You can look it up in
the jargon file, http://ursine.dyndns.org/jargon/)

Do not buy a cable modem off Ebay under any circumstances.  These
things are brutally easy to fry with line surge off the cable line,
especially if you're in a lightning prone area.  If you still want to
buy your own cable modem, get a 3Com OfficeConnect.  This modem should
work on most cable systems.  Call your cable operator to see if they
can provision this modem beforehand.  If this particular model isn't
available or your cable operator can't handle it, you're better off
leasing a modem from them.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user